Is it possible to allow some users to write content & an editor can edit & publish / approve it?
You can give a user or a user group the following permissions (on each section separately):
- Edit entries
- Create entries
- Publish live changes
- Delete entries
- Edit other authors’ entries
- Edit other authors’ drafts
If a user only can "create entries", but not "publish live changes", then he is not able to publish an entry (but he can create the entry).
As MISC has mentioned, Craft has a great permissions system built-in, which allows you to assign users the ability to either publish content live, or instead only create it and have others publish it.
Here's a screenshot of a typical permissions screen:
To take this to the next level, Josh Crawford has developed a great free plugin called Workflow which enhances this with:
- User interface improvements, including a button to "Submit for Review"
- Email notifications to notify publishers that an entry is ready for review
- Entries become locked while they are awaiting review
- Extra events for hooking into the submission/publishing process with additional custom functionality