I am receiving the following error when I click on
Check for Updates ...
Craft is unable to determine if an update is available at this time.
Do you know what could be causing this?
You'll get this if (for any reason) your local install can't connect to our web service that holds all of our update and release information.
If this happens, your local install will cache that there was a connection error and cache to not try again for 5 minutes, no matter how many times you refresh.
So you can either wait the 5 minutes and try again, or clear your data caches under Settings->Tools->Clear Caches Tool and try again and hopefully the connection problem will have resolved itself.
You can also check your
craft/storage/runtime/logs files for any cURL related errors indicating a cURL configuration problem on the box.
I cleared the cache to no avail. After combing through error logs, I found I had an error with my curl and ssl setup via homebrew. After re-installing those items and reinstalling php55 like so...
brew install php55 --with-homebrew-curl --with-homebrew-libxslt --with-homebrew-openssl --without-snmp
...everything seemed to be fixed and was able to run my updates.
I had this problem because my VPN was interfering with local cURL requests. I disabled the VPN and Craft was able to detect updates. I'm working with my VPN provider now to figure out a permanent solution.
Ours got out of sync with a remote repo and contained unresolved conflict.