I've been tasked with adding a column to the Entries screen to show some custom data that gets saved against each new post. To do this, I've edited
craft/app/elementtypes/EntryElementType.php and added a new table attribute, which does what I need and shows the column.*
However, I'm wary though that updating Craft involves removing the
/app directory and replacing it with the one from the latest release.
Is there an advised way I should make tweaks to core files like the one I mentioned? Or, is the only solution to do something like...
- Add PHP comments around any core code I tweak
- When preparing for an update, compare the old
/appagainst the new one in GitHub
- From there, search through the changes to find the comments I've added
- For each comment I find, I should manually recreate the changes in the correct places within the new version of
* Just to clarify, I was using an older version of Craft when I wrote this post. Having updated to 2.6, I now see that choosing which columns to show on the Entries screen is a baked-in feature. Nice :)