I've got a client with very specific shipping requirements. Essentially, he wants to assign specific shipping costs for every single zone for every single product. Like this:
- Product A shipping to Canada = $25
- Product A shipping to Continental US = $40
- Product A shipping to Alaska and Hawaii = $60
- Product A shipping to Europe Zone 1 = $100
- Product A shipping to Europe Zone 2 = $125
- Product A shipping to Europe Zone 3 = $150
- Product A shipping to Asia Zone 1 = $200
- Product A shipping to Asia Zone 2 = $220
- Product A shipping to Asia Zone 3 = $230
Now multiply this by 25 products. And he wants to be able to change the shipping costs whenever he needs to so it will be essential that he can adjust it from the backend rather than through code.
Any thoughts on this? My initial idea was to use the Default Item Weight Rate option and have each product assigned a weight. Of course, the weight wouldn't reflect the actual weight of the product, it would just be a way of easily adjusting the shipping rate. The problem I see is that adjusting the weight would adjust the shipping cost across all zones rather than just the zone he wants to change.
Is my only option then to create a shipping category for every product and using Category Rate Overrides?